Verse of the Day

Monday, May 17, 2010

THE TROUBLE WITH MY MOUTH & MY MIND!


***I have felt God leading me to write some devotions and I believe that God has laid this on my heart to share. My prayer is that someone is blessed by this in some way. Thanks for stopping by and reading.***

 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my Strength, and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

This verse has been coming to my mind on many occasions over the last few days. So I thought I would really give it some thought and truly listen to what the Holy Spirit was trying to tell me.

So let's begin by looking at the first part of that verse: Let the words of my mouth… be acceptable in thy sight. Most of the time, this is not an issue for me – notice I said most. Of course, there are times when I know I say things that I shouldn't, like when I am hurt, angry, frustrated, uneasy, or sometimes just out of stupidity. Those spoken words are so easy to say yet sometimes very hard to take back. However, when I hear them with my own ears, I usually recognize them as being wrong and not acceptable in God's sight. When that happens, 99% of the time, I immediately realize it and am quick to seek forgiveness and apologize to the person I said those words to. Oh how I wish that was the end of this verse.

Let the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight. Let's begin by looking at a couple of definitions. First of all, according to Merriam Webster's dictionary, meditation means to focus one's thoughts on, reflect on or ponder over. Now let's look at heart. In this verse, heart is referring to our innermost character, feelings, or inclinations (Merriam-Webster). Okay so what does this really mean? The thoughts that I focus on and ponder in my heart – my mind --- my feelings --- those thoughts that I dwell on and keep going back to --- they are to be acceptable in my Redeemer's sight. Ouch – I think I feel a God spankin' coming on! What thoughts run through my head when I see that person that just makes my skin crawl or worse has hurt one of my children? Or that person that always seems to just want attention and has something else wrong now? How about when my kids just seem to be on that last nerve – again? Or what about that neighbor that just got another brand new car along with an addition to their already mega house? Do I entertain thoughts about that 'hot' looking singer / actor? Well, I think you get my drift here. So what are we to do? Of course, we can't completely control every thought that pops into our heads; however, we have complete control over what we do with those thoughts. Do I quickly dismiss it with a prayer or do I start meditating – reflecting – pondering them?

Philippians 4:8 specifically tells us what the meditations of our hearts should be: "whatsoever things are true..honest…just..pure…lovely…of good report…virtue..praise." These are the things that we to think on. If I start inspecting my thoughts with the standards God so clearly has spelled out….well, let's just say, I've got some work to do. So the next time, those unacceptable thoughts pop into my mind, I need to shift my thinking to one of these things mentioned in this verse!

Dear Lord, my Redeemer & my Strength – Thank you for loving me so unconditionally and giving us your precious Son so that I can come to you boldly and unashamed. Lord, I know that the words and the meditations of my heart are not always acceptable in your sight. Right now I pray for forgiveness of unacceptable words and thoughts. Lord, I pray for the strength and insight to think on things that are true and honest and just and pure and lovely and of good report and virtuous and praiseworthy. Lord, I pray that I will be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit as He leads me to dismiss any thoughts that are not pleasing and to refocus my mind and heart on You. Again I thank You for your amazing love and salvation. In Jesus Name I Pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome that the Lord lay this on your heart because I definitely needed this reminder today!!! Boy, He works in mysterious ways!! Thanks for following the leading of the Holy Spirit and sharing this devotional!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how Blessed I am to have you as my daughter!! I Praise God that your walk with Him is to know when the Holy Spirit is speaking to you. We are in spiritual warfare and our only chance we have in winning is to stay attuned to the Holy Spirit. I needed this, as you know how much I dislike conditional love, and yet I have found myself thinking bad thoughts in that realm, and what we have to realize is thinking these thoughts is just as bad as acting them out. I am actually doing a study of The Beatitudes in the 8th chapter of Luke and pray each day for God to be with me so I may be an example of His love for me. I love you so very much and thank you for taking care of me..Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete