Verse of the Day

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Saying YES to God - Week 3 Blog Hop

We are in week 3 of the online Bible study I have been doing from Proverbs 31, "What Happens When Women Say Yes to God." Through this study I am learning to be more aware of God's voice and learning how to say YES to Him.  I can say YES to Him because I am compelled by HIS amazing love. (1 Cor. 5:14-18) and His love compels us to choose obedience - no matter what the cost.

Last week was the beginning of a another school year.  This is my first year as a principal and my prayer for the last 20 years in education has always been for God to use me to be a light for my students and fellow teachers and it is still my prayer. I have always been very vocal about my faith even in my classroom. I have always made sure students knew I went to church and any chance I could get to share a story or in someway share Jesus I did.  I remember one time a student came to me before school and asked me to pray with her because her mom was having surgery that day. Many times I have had students in my youth group at church that are at my school so conversations always happened about different activities in front of others.

As I was preparing to start pre-planning with my teachers last week, I knew God was asking me to continue to let Him shine through. However, I was nervous because now as the principal everything fell on my shoulders and I knew that there could be some repercussions if I crossed the line. On the first day we had our welcome back breakfast and I knew God was asking me to make sure there was a prayer said before we began asking Him to not only bless the food but the school year as well.  So I had made my mind up that I would talk to one of the male teachers that I knew was a Christian and ask him if he would pray. (Prayer from a peer teacher it is not looked on the same as if it comes from the 'leader' of the school.) But I didn't get a chance to talk to him before the meeting started. Oh by the way, I also knew there was a staff member who had made it clear that school is not a place for prayer - especially by administration.

Well it was time to start the welcome back festivities and felt - no I heard - God whisper to me - "Tonya you are to pray." Wait a minute - this is my first time as a principal!!!! But I chose to say YES and with a boldness that could have only come from God, I opened our school year in prayer!

And so far -- things have been GREAT! And if for some reason I get some flack from anyone, I know my GOD will intervene because I said YES and HE has a plan!!!! #amazed #YestoGod

To read other posts from women saying yes to God, click here!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your Yes to God story! I hope that you have an amazing school year, and that you see God work in wonderful ways! I am stopping by from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete